Recipe for Baklava
2x packet filo pastry
4C whole almonds
4C caster sugar
3T caster sugar
2 heaped T cinnamon
250g unsalted butter melted
1. 4C sugar, 4C water, less than a teaspoon of lemon, 1t whole cloves. Bring to boil.
2. Boil for 15min check consistency. Stop once the syrup drops slowly.
3. Cool syrup pot in larger bowl of water. Replace water when it heats up.
– Prepare 2x dishes with butter
1. Process almonds, then add 3T of sugar. 2T cinnamon.
2. Melt butter.
3. 3x layers of pastry, then butter. Sprinkle almond mix leaving 3cm top and bottom. Fold bottom over, butter, almond, roll tightly. Butter end then fold.
4. Place hard against the side of dish. Continue until full.
5. Butter the full dishes then cut 3 fingers thick (or under).
6. Turn on oven 180C and cook for 25min or until golden brown. (Came to 60 min)
7. Remove from heat when ready. Slowly and generously pour syrup immediately over the baklava.
8. Pick dishes up and slowly roll syrup around to distribute evenly. Repeat every few minutes until soaked up. Allow to cool over night uncovered.
9. When storing, place baking paper or glad wrap between layers. You can freeze. Let it thaw in fridge NOT ON COUNTER!